So I am applying to Next Step Connections today to see if they can get me an internship in China. Problem is – should I go to Shanghai or Hong Kong?? Both are such amazing cities!
- Fees (for a 2 month internship + accommodation) are £1000 less than Hong Kong.
- Greater chances of me being able to practice my Mandarin, although the local dialect is Shanghainese.
- It is the home of the 2010 World Expo, so it is bound to be exciting.
- Not many people speak English.
- It is the home of the 2010 World Expo, so it is going to be even more packed than it usually is.
- Polluted as hell.
- Official languages are Cantonese and English.
- Hong Kong is more Westernized. Not saying that is necessarily good, but perhaps for a confused Westerner it is.
- Hong Kong is my favourite Asian city.
- Hong Kong has a nicer surrounding nature and less pollution.
- Fees (for a 2 month internship + accommodation) are £1000 more than Shanghai.
- I won’t be able to practice my Mandarin to the same degree as in Shanghai.
God, this is so hard. Heart says Hong Kong, head says Shanghai.